Monday 24 November 2014

Clothes creep

I'm almost 2/3 of my way through Oct-Dec Project 333. 

I'm loving the clothes I'm wearing - I'm definitely more of a cold-weather-clothes person. I think this may be because darker/warmer colours seem to suit me better than lighter/pastel colours - and generally there are more clothes in these colours at this time of year and these are generally for cooler weather.

However, I have to admit to clothes-creep.

It started well. I replaced a jumper with another from my standby wardrobe.  I replaced my jeans with some black and blue ones which fit much better and I feel better wearing.  But then I looked at my wardrobe and realised that I've not yet worn some of the clothes in there - one dress is slightly small and doesn't do me any favours, another I've not had the occasion to wear it. I've not worn 2/3 cardigans as they're not big enough to go over long-sleeved tops.   I know I need to do a mid-point wardrobe revision, but I've not quite managed it, I think this is for the following reasons:
- I included dresses in my wardrobe.  I'm not a dress person, but I feel I try to be (at least some of the time) because it will give me a bit of variety.  I've not yet worn the dresses in the original cut.  If I take them out, I'm admitting defeat.
- I really want to wear colours that suit me (autumn-type shades mainly) but am drawn to black because it's easy to wear, most things will go with it and it's easy to find in the shops (this last one is a biggie - try finding dark brown trousers (brown is not popular this year) in a fabric I like, a cut/fit that suits me and in my size - it's practically impossible.  Not even polyvore or shopstyle have been able to help me).  So I'm mainly wearing black, but don't want to get rid of the warmer colours from my wardrobe just yet (in the hope that I'll find that pair of trousers that ties everything together).

So, in the knowledge that I'm not wearing my full wardrobe (but without doing the sensible thing and having a wardrobe audit) I've bought myself a few more clothes that I should definitely wear:
- some pyjamas in deep red/brown (I know these don't count in the 333, but I've been amazed at how much better I've felt wearing a colour that I know suits me, even just to sleep!)
- a dress from a posh (for me) shop - it was in the sale, I had a money off voucher (old habits...), it's charcoal (so not completely black) and is wool so ideal for autumn/winter.  I've worn this twice, once for work, once for play - I really like it.  And it gives me chance to wear my long boots, that I love.
- the jeans I mentioned above.  I bought two pairs of black cotton jeans that I can get away with for work (smart-casual) and some blue jeans - high-ish waist, bootcut (not very fashionable, but refuse to wear skinny jeans as I'd look ridiculous).  I have worn no other trousers since I bought these.  No regrets there.
- some oxblood (deep red/burgundy/maroon) coloured ankle boots.  I love these, the colour, the style, they have a three-inch heel that I usually avoid but because it's a chunky heel I have no problem walking in them.  I've put away my battered old black ankle boots and not looked back.
- I've also just ordered two dress/tunics (they're not long enough for me to wear with leggings, so will be worn with trousers) in brown and teal.  They are in "my" colours, they could be worn for both work and play.  I'm looking forward to trying them.

Because of this, I have more than 33 items in my wardrobe.  I need to be realistic and move out the things that I'm not wearing.  But do I do it now?  Or wait until the end of December when I'll be revisiting my wardrobe for Jan-March?  I can sense a big clear out coming on (some of the clothes that have not made the cut and also not been re-assigned to pilates clothing or nightwear), but I'm not quite ready for it yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment