Monday 9 February 2015

I need change!

I'm almost at the half way point for the current Project 333 stage (Jan-March).  I confidently predicted that I would wear the same clothes as the last run (Oct-Dec) as the weather was pretty similar.  I'd made a few changes within the last run, but nothing major.

This time I've come unstuck.  I don't think it's (necessarily) because I'm bored of my wardrobe, but some of my clothes are getting a bit shabby.  This is a bit of a revelation to me as usually I just get bored of clothes, it's only the much-loved ones that actually eventually fall apart.
  • So, there's the brown/multi-coloured top with beads around the neckline - some of the beads are now missing and it's starting to bobble.  I don't feel good in it, so out it goes to charity.
  • The black and white striped (and faded) top that I love in principle but does me no favours - I've admitted defeat and sent it on its way.
  • the purple and black cardigans are that little bit too tight, so have been sent to potential for summer (when I'm wearing fewer layers)
  • the brown winter coat that I love, it's a little bit small so I've just not worn it, in favour of my black cape that is incredibly warm (despite seeing many a pensioner sporting the very same one a week ago)
  • I've not worn my fleecy cream jacket, so that's going to the back now (not quite ready to get rid yet)
  • I've not worn my brown jeans or trousers, but I think that's mainly laziness
  • my charcoal dress and wrap/cardigan (100% wool) were washed at 30C, but still shrank.  Time will tell as to whether I wear them as often.
The moment I decided something had to change was last week.  I was away, with work, but with a smart-casual dress code.  I felt so scruffy, I felt that my clothes were flattering, I looked at the others with envy.  I needed to do something!  These people were wearing colours that suit them, interesting colour combinations (that worked) and they wore jackets, which made them look infinitely more professional/put together.

So I've done an audit.
  • The colours I've been wearing haven't helped, they've been mostly black (black trousers at the very least every day) and it's just too harsh.
  • I've bought colours (such as the lovely deep red that's in the shops at the moment) but not taken account of the fit (shapeless, unflattering).
  • I've recently had my hair cut, so need something (like a scarf) around my neck, or I look a bit odd.  The holy grail of the scarf with all my good colours (brown, deep red, purple, teal) has yet to be found...
I decided I need more brown.  Unfortunately most shops are not selling brown (chocolate/deep brown rather than tan/camel colours).  After a lot of online browsing I've finally found:
  • a brown leather jacket
  • a brown cardigan/jacket
  • a brown tunic
  • a brown sleeveless top (to be worn under jacket)
  • a cream/brown cardigan/jacket
  • a brown leather work handbag that WILL hold all I need (no more shoehorning everything in)
It feels very frivolous to buy so much.  Earlier this month I thought I'd been cured of the shopping urge as I went to two sales of eco clothes companies (that I love) and came away with only socks and a pyjama top.  I think the urge is still there, but I'm much more considered, I deliberate, I go shopping with a specific purpose, I make sure I'm sure before I part with my cash.  Most importantly, if I buy online and it's not right, it goes back.  I do it quickly so I don't forget.  I also try to consider how clothes will fit with my current wardrobe (thanks Pinterest).

I'm hoping that this change to having brown as the most prominent basic will make a difference.  At the very least I now have more than one outfit that I can wear to my follow up work event...

No comments:

Post a Comment