Saturday 26 July 2014

Reflections so far

So, I'm back from my holidays.  The weather was lovely, warm and mostly dry, so in the end I didn't wear some of my "back up" pieces, I went to a launderette and did some washing towards the end of the break (and the added bonus was that there was less laundry to do when I got home). 

It was interesting, some of the things I took with me really didn't work, so they've gone to the charity shop (I'm starting my own collection there...), other things which I've kept in reserve reserve position I've now decided I'm not going to wear again (wrong colour, fit, etc) so they've either been transferred to the "gym clothes" pile or again, off to the charity shop.

I've also had a good look at my wardrobe and I think I've made some rookie errors, especially with trousers.  I have two pairs of summer trousers that I love, one brown/cream, one red/pink and black.  I'm wearing one pair now, they are perfect for weather like this, hot and clammy UK summers.  As work is smart-casual/casual (depending on the office I'm in) I can make these work all week.  However, there are only a limited number of things I can wear them with.  The brown trousers - I have a brown work top, another top which is not suitable even for the casual days at work and that's about it.  Other tops don't go or it would be a case of pattern overload.  So realistically, that's one item, only one outfit.  The red/pink and black ones are slightly better, but only because I have three different, un-patterned black tops (vest, short-sleeved, long-sleeved) I can wear with them.

So, although I'm going to persevere for now, I'm going to keep that in mind going forward.

Speaking of going forward, I'm been thinking of the next stage - that is, October-December Project 333.  I still have a wardrobe full of clothes (I have no room to put the non-project 333 clothes out of sight, they're just in the other side of the wardrobe being ignored), so I thought that one way of whittling them down would be to give some thought to what I'm going to wear as we move into autumn-winter.  This can obviously change, but I'm made a start.  This time, so far, I have plain trousers (see above) and a few tops/tunics/dresses with accents of a number of colours, so it should be easier to mix and match.  At the moment I'm not including hats/scarves/gloves, or vest tops that will be worn for warmth only, plus I'm going to have bonus items of a warm cardigan (we have friends who have no heating, so I like to be prepared) and a Christmas jumper that will only be worn for a couple of weeks in December.  To be honest, as this next wardrobe is much more versatile, my options seem huge and I might cut it down further, either before or during.

But, a lot can change in (over) two months, so I'm going to focus on the current wardrobe for now.  Patterned trousers and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment