Wednesday 9 July 2014

They're coming to get you...

I am a marketer's dream.  In the past, if I see there's something new out there, I want to buy it and try it.  I love online shopping and it seems that every time I buy something, the shop puts me on their mailing list.  So at least once a day I get an email telling me about the latest offer, latest sale, spend £30 get £5 off, free delivery today only, extra 20% off selected sale items.

Today was the final straw:
"R - you need new clothes" was the subject heading.
And yes, it worked.  I opened the email.  I really don't need those clothes.  Then it made me cross.  I'm as in charge of my own behaviour as anyone else, but the blatant hard-sell, implying my current clothes weren't good enough, was a step too far.

So I'm going to (attempt to) remove myself from mailing lists.  I don't want to be tested all the time, tempted by the latest "bargain".  I have enough clothes.  If I need something specific I'll research it and buy that one thing (ideally good quality, ethically sourced - if I can find something in my size/colour that I like) rather than buying cheap rubbish because an email tells me I need to.

No comments:

Post a Comment